Online Soccer Betting Guide
Introduction to Soccer Betting - known as football in most parts of the world such as Europe and the United Kingdom – is arguably the most popular sport in the world. It is played at both amateur and professional level in most countries throughout the world. The modern game has been around since the 19th century, when the English Football Association drew up the formal “Laws of the Game.”
Soccer betting sites remain one of the most popular types of online sports bets amongst real money gamblers world wide.
Where To Bet On Soccer Online
The amount of televised soccer has increased dramatically over the last 20 years or so. The English Premier League (EPL) is widely considered to be the best in the world and games from this competition are regularly shown all over the world. Other popular domestic leagues also attract global followings from passionate fans. International football is a big part of the game, with regular friendlies being played as well as continental competitions. The biggest international tournament, by far, is the FIFA World Cup ( www.FIFA.com ) – played every four years between 32 competing nations.
Betting on soccer has long been a big part of the game. In England, virtually every major club will have several on site bookmaker shops in their stadiums giving spectators the chance to make bets before watching the game. As online betting has grown in popularity and accessibility, betting on soccer is now simply huge. There are many betting opportunities presented in the sport, and it is very much a favourite among casual and serious sports bettors alike. Live soccer betting, where you can place a bet during the course of the match, is a more recent development which has seen rapid growth at top soccer betting sites.
Soccer Leagues And Formats
Soccer is essentially played in two different formats – knockout tournaments or leagues. Club teams usually compete in their domestic league, which runs throughout the season and involves playing each participating team twice, once at home and once away. Most nations also have at least one domestic cup too, and the top teams usually compete in continental tournaments too. Major European teams, for example, will be competing in the UEFA Champions League in addition to their own domestic competitions.
Most nations have seasons that run for anywhere from 7 to 10 months, with a few months close season to give the players a break. In England, for example, the season runs from August to May. Most other European nations have similar seasons. International tournaments usually take place during the close season of domestic leagues.
Although the game has seen many developments over the years, both on and off the pitch, the fundamental basics of the game have remained largely the same for nearly two centuries. Soccer fans are considered to among the most passionate sports fans out there, with many committed fans regularly following their supported club all over their country, and further afield, to watch them in action.
Types of Soccer Bets and Wagers
Because of the massive following of the game, soccer betting is a big deal for online sports betting sites. Every single major soccer betting site will offer plenty of markets on soccer betting and a variety of different bets. We’ve listed below the most popular types of soccer bet.
- Match Betting (Fixed Odds) - Match betting will be available on virtually every professional soccer match played. It is a simple bet, and probably the most common by some way. All you have to do is select which team you think will win and place your bet on them. If your selection wins, you will be paid out based on the odds at the time of betting. The odds will be presented in one of two formats - as a fraction or as a decimal. An example of fractional odds would be 2/1 – a bet of $1.00 would see winnings of $2.00 and your stake returned. A decimal price might be 3.0 – this would see a $1.00 winning bet return $3.00 including your stake. You can also choose to bet on the draw in match betting.
- Moneyline Bet - This is basically the same wager as the match bet, just presented in a different way. A bookmaker will set a moneyline based on the chances of a team winning. An example might be Team A at -500 and Team B at +300. To win $1.00 on Team A you would have to bet $5.00, a bet of $1.00 on Team B would return $3.00.
- Asian Handicap Betting - In handicap betting, the draw is not an option and you have to take the handicap into account. An online bookmaker will assign either a positive or negative handicap to a team, and you place a bet with the handicap in mind. For example, if a team is given a handicap of +2 and you back that team to win, then your bet will be successful providing they win, draw or lose by less than two goals. If a team is given a handicap of -2, then they must win by 3 clear goals for a wager on them to return a win.
- Mutliples/Parlay Bets - These are very popular bets in soccer and can offer very good returns, although they are harder to get right. A multiple or parlay bet involves making more than one selection on a single betting slip. You must then be correct in all your selections. The odds multiply for each selection so if you manage to get a bet like this right it can be very profitable.
- Over/Under Bets - This has become a very common bet in soccer. For most matches, an online bookmaker will set a line for the total amount of goals in the game – such as 2.5 for example. You must then bet whether you think there will be more than 2.5 (the over) or less (the under).
- Futures/Outright Bets - An example of a future or outright bet at soccer betting websites would be selecting which team you think will win a league or cup tournament. At the start of the World Cup, for example, you would choose which nation you believe will win the trophy and place your wager on that nation.
- Prop Bets/Specials - Most online betting websites will offer a decent variety of specials, or prop bets, on soccer. Common such bets include correct score in a match, or the first goal scorer.
Online Soccer Betting Tips and Strategy
Soccer is a sport that is very popular among serious sports bettors, and there is definitely money to be made betting on soccer. It is important, though, to have a good understanding of the game and teams involved. The most successful soccer bettors will have an almost encyclopedic knowledge of the leagues, teams and players on which they are betting.
When you start out betting on soccer, it is a good idea to keep your betting limited to one particular nation. As English football is probably the most widely covered, this is a good place to start. Try to read up as much as you can about the game in England, use proper soccer betting strategy and watch some matches if you can, to improve your knowledge. You will then be in a position to make a judgement about what you think might happen in any given game.
In soccer, there will often be quite a gap between the abilities of the two teams playing, and one team will be an overwhelming favourite. Although betting on the favourite will see you get a return more often than not, the odds will not be great. As upsets do happen in this sport, one loss for a big favourite can see you lose a big chunk of previous profits. It is advisable to mix your bets up and look for some value where you can.
Two important aspects of wagering at soccer betting websites are the same as all sports. Make sure you are placing your bets with a good online bookmaker and always manage your betting bankroll well.