The Slovenian sports betting market is heavily regulated, but bettors have plenty of online sportsbooks to choose from via international operators licensed in their home countries. Other Slovenian online betting options include lotteries, electronic instant-win games, and raffles operated by Loterija Slovenije.
Continue below for an overview of the best Slovenian betting sites, how the government regulates online sportsbooks, and how to bypass any internet blocks you may encounter along the way.
Best Slovenia Betting Sites
The National Lottery maintains a monopoly over all Slovenian online betting activities, but bettors continue to use higher-quality operators headquartered in other European countries.
Large, international betting sites outperform the National Lottery in nearly every respect, ranging from the variety of sports covered to additional features like live broadcasts.
OnlineBettingSites.com ranks the best Slovenian betting apps and websites according to a handful of critical factors:
- Is it a legitimate betting site that treats customers well?
- Does it have a positive reputation among customers?
- Does it process euro deposits and withdrawals quickly?
- Does it support convenient payment methods such as Visa, Mastercard, SEPA bank transfers, Paysafecard, Bitcoin, Neteller, and PayPal
- Does it offer a generous welcome bonus and VIP loyalty rewards?
- Does it cover a wide range of sports, provide many wagering markets per event, and offer in-play betting?
- Does it offer useful features such as live streaming, real-time stats, accumulator builders, early cash out, and side games?
- Does it support responsible gambling via self-imposed wagering limits, voluntary timeouts, and self-exclusion?
- Visit now: bet365.com
- Read more: Bet365 Review
OnlineBettingSites.com ranks Bet365 above all other Slovenian sports betting sites for multiple reasons, starting with its sterling reputation. Few operators have offered online sports betting for as long as Bet365 and maintained positive reputations.
In addition, Bet365 welcomes new customers with a hefty welcome bonus and frequently launches short-term promotions such as odds boosts, refund guarantees, and enhanced accumulator payouts. Note – There is no Bet365 bonus code Slovenia bettors need to know; all new customers receive the same welcome offer automatically.
- Accepts Slovenian customers: Yes
- Deposit methods: Credit card, debit card, Skrill, Neteller, Paysafecard, wire transfer, and more; $10 minimum up to $100,000 maximum for some methods
- Special note: Slovenian bettors may need to visit the Bet365 website using a VPN or use their mobile phones’ LTE connections when not connected to Wi-Fi. Bet365 accepts Slovenian customers but blocks local IP addresses to comply with Ministry of Finance requests. The author of this review used ExpressVPN and was able to access Bet365.com after trying two or three locations.
- Visit now: 22bet.com
- Read more: 22Bet Review
22Bet is a sprawling online sportsbook with a massive wagering menu that dwarfs other Slovenian sports betting sites. Customers can visit 22Bet to bet on dozens of international sports, Slovenian football matches, competitive esports, AI vs AI video games, interactive TV games, virtual sports, horse racing, and even live-streaming marble racing.
In addition, 22Bet is the only prominent betting site in Slovenia that supports multiple cryptocurrencies.
- Accepts Slovenian customers: Yes
- Deposit methods: Credit card, debit card, Skrill, Neteller, Paysafecard, wire transfer, Bitcoin, Litecoin, Ethereum, Ripple, Monero, and more; 200+ deposit methods in all
- Special note: Slovenians can access 22Bet without a VPN, but 22Bet sometimes uses alternate domains to preempt any internet blocks. Readers can follow any link on this page to visit 22Bet and be automatically redirected to one of its official alternate domains if necessary.
Slovenia Sports Betting
Like many countries, Slovenia neither endorses nor prohibits using betting sites licensed in other jurisdictions. Most importantly, no laws prohibit citizens from using online sportsbooks headquartered in other countries.
The government has long considered new legislation to institute a local licensing process for Slovenija betting sites, but progress on that front has been slow at best. In the meantime, operators headquartered elsewhere in Europe remain the best sports betting sites in Slovenia.
Sportna Loterija holds a government-approved monopoly over online sports betting in Slovenia, resulting in a level of quality one would expect from a provider facing zero domestic competition. As a result, Slovenians who want more wagering markets, better promotions, and live-streaming video flock to operators licensed in other countries.
The law does not criminalize online sportsbooks hosted elsewhere, nor does it provide a licensing mechanism. In short, online sportsbooks not hosted in Slovenia operate in a legal grey area.
The Ministry of Finance has occasionally ordered ISPs to block internet access to foreign betting sites in order to channel bettors to Sportna Loterija. Compliance with such edicts has been sporadic, and most bettors have no problems accessing foreign sports betting sites in Slovenia. However, a handful of multinational online betting sites left Slovenia in 2017 after it seemed the government was on the verge of establishing a licensing process for private operators.
Some betting sites returned after the Slovenian National Assembly rejected the measure, while others remain out of reach. Yet others have opted to “soft block” Slovenian customers via IP bans but still accept them as customers. As a result, bettors can access operators like Bet365 with VPNs to register and bet on sports.
The one thing bettors should be wary of is the quality of online betting sites available in Slovenia. Hundreds of real money betting sites operate from all parts of the world. Some are completely safe and professional, while others are outright scams. Therefore, it pays to exercise caution when choosing where to bet online in Slovenia.
That is why OnlineBettingSites.com recommends the above sports betting sites in Slovenia. Each has survived the investigations involved in acquiring an online betting license. Some are even publicly traded, release regular financial reports, and operate according to the laws of their home countries. In short, and as counterintuitive as it sounds, foreign operators run the best betting sites Slovenia fans can visit.
Slovenia Horse Racing Betting
Slovenia does not have much of a horse racing industry, and the law does not address pari-mutuel wagering separately from other forms of betting. The state’s lone racetrack, Hipodrom Stožice, functions as a training, competition prep, and event-hosting venue rather than a place to host high-profile races.
However, online horse racing betting is widely available in Slovenia through legal betting sites headquartered elsewhere in Europe. Bet365 is by far the best among Slovenian betting sites in this regard, followed by other mainstream betting brands that operate internationally.
The most prominent horse racing betting sites offer a mixture of fixed-odds betting, ante-post wagers, and access to tote pools at hundreds of tracks. Additionally, they cover most major horse racing events, including the Kentucky Derby, Cheltenham Festival, Grand National, Epsom Derby, Saudi Cup, Breeders’ Cup, and more.
Slovenia’s national lottery also offers horse racing betting on a limited scale at e-stave.com.
Slovenian Online Betting Deposits and Withdrawals
International sports betting sites are equipped to handle deposits and withdrawals from all parts of the world, Slovenia included. Further, the euro is accepted almost universally, and the Slovenian government has not attempted to block transactions to foreign betting sites.
Euro is accepted almost universally, and the Slovenian government makes no effort to block transactions to foreign gaming sites.
As a result, bettors should have no problems funding their accounts or withdrawing. Most worthwhile betting sites accept credit cards, debit cards, Neteller, Skrill, electronic bank transfers, Paysafecard, and more. A growing number of legitimate betting sites also accept cryptocurrency deposits, which feature speedy transaction times and minimal fees.
Slovenian Online Betting Laws
Modern Slovenian betting laws originate from the 1995 Gambling Act. Lawmakers have approved multiple amendments to the Act over the years but have expressed an interest in passing new legislation to regulate online sports betting and gambling sites.
However, progress has been slow despite several attempts that came close to opening the Slovenian online betting market to competition. Current Slovenian betting laws organize gambling into two categories:
- Classic Games of Chance: The classic games of chance category includes lotteries, instant win games, bingo, sports betting, raffles, and “other similar games.” The government may issue no more than two licenses to operators in this category, one to Loterija Slovenije (the national lottery) and one to Sportna Loterija (a subsidiary of the national lottery).
- Special Games of Chance: The special games of chance category consists of casino-style games and poker. The government may award up to 15 licenses to casinos and 45 permits to gaming halls.
Slovenian law aims to ensure gambling in the country is conducted in an orderly manner to prevent fraud, money laundering, and other criminal activities. Additionally, the law seeks to protect minors and other vulnerable persons from the harmful effects of excessive gambling and to protect the players.
The law designates the Ministry of Finance to regulate gambling and to take into account the following considerations while overseeing the industry:
- Control the supply of gambling in the state or local community
- Ensure coordinated, optimal and sustainable development activities
- Impact on the social, cultural, and natural environment of the individual
- Ensuring the volume of available gambling is complementary to the country’s tourism industry
- Experience and recommendations for gambling
- Activity, history, and financial standing of gambling operators and employees
- Development of strategically sound legislation for gambling
- Any other circumstances associated with decisions on gambling
One update to the law addressed online gambling in Slovenia specifically. Article 3A of the Act states that only entities with licenses for classic games of chance may offer online gambling.
Article 3A also states that operators licensed to offer online wagering must grant read-only access to their servers for the Gaming Supervision to monitor the industry.
Slovenia has taken a much softer approach to online sports betting relative to some of its neighboring countries. However, the government has attempted (unsuccessfully) to channel sports fans away from foreign betting sites by ordering local ISPs to block access to all betting sites. The IP-blocking measures have proven ineffective, and gamblers remain able to bet online in Slovenia.
At the end of 2013, the government announced it would soon propose a new gambling act to address online betting. It took several years for lawmakers to deliver on that promise, but they put forth a gambling bill in 2016 to legalize and regulate online casinos and poker sites.
The law would have authorized online casinos and poker sites to apply for licenses, but it would have kept sports betting and lottery games under the control of the state monopoly.
Numerous Slovenia betting sites headquartered elsewhere exited the market to build goodwill among regulators in anticipation of applying for licenses under the new law. However, Parliament rejected the bill in 2018, ending all hopes for a more competitive market in the short term.
Slovenian National Lottery
Slovenia’s national lottery, Loterija Slovenije, is the only operator approved to offer lottery-style games in-person and online. The lottery provides traditional lottery games, virtual sports, instant win games, horse racing, and sports betting through Sportna Loterija.
In 2014, the national lottery partnered with Inspired Gaming to offer virtual sports betting, lotteries, instant win games, limited horse racing wagering, and pari-mutuel sports predictions at www.e-stave.com.
Slovenia Betting FAQs
Wes Burns has more than a decade’s worth of experience as a writer, researcher, and analyst in the legal online betting industry and is co-founder of OnlineBettingSites.com. Wes approaches his work from the viewpoint of players.