Gambling in Aruba is aimed mostly at tourists although locals are free to visit land-based casinos and online betting sites. This makes sense considering Aruba is home to just 100,000 people but attracts more than 1.5 million tourists per year. The government has no problem with locals participating in sports betting, but it does seek to limit how often citizens partake in the activity.
Locals are restricted to eight visits per month to brick-and-mortar casinos. There are no similar restrictions for online wagering. If you’ve reached your 8-visit maximum or simply prefer the greater convenience and game variety of online casinos, the Aruba betting websites on this page will have you back in action in no time.
Where to Bet Online in Aruba
The Aruban government licenses online gambling sites but licensing standards here are known for being overly lenient. Therefore, I find it safest to stick with Aruban betting sites in that are licensed by more demanding bodies such as the UK Gaming Commission or the Isle of Man.
Both of those gambling regulatory agencies require a greater deal of transparency and have better means for enforcing the law than an Aruba gambling license does.
The Aruban florin isn’t supported as a default currency by any online sportsbook but that shouldn’t cause any problems. If you deposit in florins, the gambling site will convert your currency into euros or dollars. Whenever you make a withdrawal, the site will convert your money back into florins before sending it to your bank account.
Papiamento: No betting sites currently offer their services in Papiamento. The only time you’ll ever see or hear Papiamento in a casino setting is in an actual brick-and-mortar casino in Aruba.
English and Dutch: Almost all major international online betting sites support English while Dutch is less common. If you can get by with basic English, that will give you access to the greatest variety of high-quality sites.
Aruban Gambling Laws
Aruba’s gambling laws allow for both brick-and-mortar casinos and online betting sites. Land-based casinos must be attached to a hotel and anyone seeking a gambling license must already have a hotel license.
Applicants must also submit documentation to describe the business model, business organization information, a list of employees, game rules and more.
The licensing requirements for online sports betting sites aren’t clearly explained and this is where the government has received some much-deserved criticism. The standards for Aruba betting sites aren’t publicly published and this makes it difficult for players to determine how safe a betting site really is.
Gambling laws used to be much stricter in Aruba. The government has relaxed its stance on gambling and now allows just about every type of game. The country allows both tourists and locals to visit casinos, but locals are restricted to visiting each casino up to a maximum of eight times per month.
Anyone caught entering more than 8 times in a month will be sent a warning letter and banned from all casinos in Aruba for one full year.
The report also found lax enforcement of the laws that do exist. For example, there seem to be few (if any) controls on keeping locals out of casinos once they’ve made their eighth visit in a month. Aruba is still a great place to visit and gamble, but the government has plenty of room to improve its oversight of the industry.
Brick and Mortar Casinos
Aruba has 10 major brick-and-mortar casinos that are all attached to hotels as required by law. The minimum age to gamble in Aruba (both in person and online) is 18. Most of these casinos accept the US dollar as well as the Aruban florin for gambling and poker.
The casinos of Aruba mostly cater to tourists from the United States and Europe. English is widely spoken, multiple currencies are accepted and high quality customer service is the norm. On the other hand, gambling is most definitely not the main attraction in Aruba. It is not uncommon to find them empty by day and busier at night after the tourists have had their fill of adventure.
- Crystal Casino: Crystal Casino is attached to the Renaissance Aruba Resort and Casino in Oranjestad. This is one of the classier casinos in all of Aruba. It has more than 400 slot machines and about 20 table games.
- Seaport Casino: This casino is also attached to the Renaissance Aruba in the downtown shopping area. It has 360 slot machines, 13 table games and one table for Texas Holdem poker.
- The Casino at the Radisson: The Casino at the Radisson has more than 200 slot machines and a small collection of table games, but this casino really shines for its poker room. They host cash games every day of the week, regular tournaments and are home to the annual Aruba Poker Open. Official website.
- Alhambra Casino: the Alhambra Casino is attached to the Divi Aruba All Inclusive resort in Oranjestad. It has more than 350 slot machines and 16 table games. Official website.
- Stellaris Casino: Stellaris is another high class casino. This one is attached to the Aruba Marriott Resort and is now ranked as the largest casino in Aruba. It has 26 table games, 500 slot machines and a collection of sports betting/racing kiosks. Official website.
- Cool Casino at Riu: Cool Casino is attached to Hotel Riu Palace Aruba in Palm Beach It comes with 200+ slot machines, 35 video poker machines and 11 table games. Official website.
- Westin Aruba Casino: The entire Westin Resort closed in early 2014. It was sold to another company and they stated they would shut down the casino for extensive refurbishing. There is currently no reopening date.
- Excelsior Casino: The Excelsior Casino is connected to the Holiday Inn Resort in Noord. This one has more than 250 slot machines and about 20 table games. The poker room spreads Texas Holdem cash games with limits ranging from $2/$4 to $50/$100. They also host poker tournaments seven days a week in the evenings. Official website.
- Glitz Casino: The Glitz opened in 2013 as a part of La Cabana Beach Resort and Casino. This casino has about 200 slot machines and 10 table games operating from 10AM to 4 AM every day. Official website.
- Hyatt Regency Casino: The Hyatt Regency Hotel operates this casino which includes 255 slot machines, 30 video poker machines and 21 table games. The casino bar serves exotic drinks and hand-rolled cigars.
- Tropicana Casino The Tropicana Aruba Resort and Casino is a nice little casino with about 100 slot machines and 8 table games. This includes 2 roulette tables, one 3-card poker table, one let-it-ride table and four blackjack tables. Official website.
Mike Murphy is the founder of OnlineBettingSites.com and has over 10 years of experience in the legal online betting industry. A regular attendee of industry trade shows and conferences, Mike is a strong proponent of regulated markets and responsible gambling policies.